How often do you pay “Dumb Taxes” in your business?
I just finished the Audio Book The Road Less Stupid by Keith J. Cunningham and, spoiler alert, the book is about why smart people do dumb things. The author asks the reader, “how much money would you have right now if I gave you the ability to unwind any three financial decisions you have ever made?” Cunningham calls this “paying a dumb tax”. He says, “we don’t need to do more smart things, we just need to make fewer dumb mistakes. Every one of those three decisions you would love to unwind was an avoidable mistake.” The vast majority of our dumb tax is a direct result of emotional, overly optimistic, and poorly thought-out decisions. The solution to paying these types of taxes is allowing yourself thinking time.
When we run ourselves to the ground by constantly “doing”, we are not thinking at our highest level. We are much smarter than we allow ourselves to be at times. True wisdom is tapped into during dedicated moments of deep reflection, what we at Next Level Growth call a “Clear the Fog” Break.
What is a Clear the Fog Break?
Keeping your head clear and your focus strong is what this tool is all about. Great leaders have the habit of taking quiet time to think. That means escaping the office on a regular basis for 30 minutes or more. By working on yourself and the business, you will rise above feeling frustrated and overwhelmed, to a clear-headed and confident state. As a result, when you come back into the business, you will be laser-focused and in the right leadership frame of mind.
During your next break, use any one of the Clear the Fog Questions to get started:
- What is one thing my business, my team or I should start doing that we’re not?
- What is one thing my business, my team or I should stop doing?
- What is one thing my business, my team or I are doing that is going well?
- What is a major hassle (for our team members, for our customers/clients, or for our vendors) that needs to be resolved?
- What can we do to be more proactive versus reactive?
So, instead of paying avoidable “dumb tax”, choose the road less stupid by scheduling regular Clear the Fog breaks for better solutions than what your emotional, untamed brain will come up with in a reactive moment.
Free Clear the Fog Worksheet
Use these questions to help to see clearly in your business and gain the confidence to simplify procedures and efficiencies.
- Read: The Road Less Stupid by Keith J. Cunningham
- Start a conversation with us today to learn about our unique approach to taking your business, and your life, to the Next Level.
- Not ready to schedule an audition to learn if we’re a great fit to help you take your business to the Next Level? Sign up to receive our blog posts and continue getting to know us.